Making your own dog food is simple and takes no more time than preparing your own meals. This Carrot Chickpea Bowl with Hummus and Polenta is a good example of a balanced, easy dish. Carrots are in season from early summer and available fresh and locally throughout the summer. It is also worth a visit to farmers’ markets, where fruit and vegetables from nearby cultivation are often available. Carrots are also full of valuable nutrients, such as beta-carotene and dietary fibres like pectin, which has a positive effect on digestion. Chickpeas also provide valuable protein and are a great source of iron.
1. Rinse the chickpeas well.
2. Put 100g of the chickpeas in a blender with linseed oil and 40ml of water and puree to hummus.
3. Stir V-Complete into the hummus.
4. Chop the remaining chickpeas in a food processor.
5. Finely grate the carrots and mix them with the chopped chickpeas.
6. Arrange polenta, chickpea-carrot mixture and hummus in the bowl. Top with a little chopped parsley stems and optionally a little sesame seeds.
Enjoy serving this mouthwatering meal.
Photos by Jana Schwarz